I’ve never really felt the need to get bossy in the kitchen before, but I am about to stand up on a soap box and preach.
I don’t care if it’s 100 degrees outside, you will want to run to that oven and make this most unbelievable, melt in your mouth, moist Dutch Apple Cake. There’s I’ve said it, ordered it really. (Well, unless you are on my 17 day diet, then my deepest apologies and don’t allow me to tempt you because this will be a downfall. Just wait one more month and use it as one of your splurge days.)
This is by far the moistest cake I have ever
inhaled eaten and it’s nearly impossible to stop at one piece. This is typically one of those recipes I can pass on by. It doesn’t necessarily “look” like it would be a recipe I’d get bossy over, but then I tried it, again and again.
Do you see those layers of apples? Seven, seven full apples!
With seven apples, I like to tell myself it’s nearly just straight fruit. 🙂
I love cooking with apples and using them in recipes. From my favorite Apple Almond Salad, Baked Apple Oatmeal or Easy Oatmeal with Diced Apples to my Melt in your mouth Apple Coffee Cake , which uses a short cut that you do NOT want to miss, you can see I love my apple recipes, but this one tops it (and trust me, I’ve tried hundreds.)
I wish I could take full credit for this one, but it comes forwarded from a friend to a friend to me, and I am forever grateful.
Once you try it, you will look past all my bossiness and realize no apology was needed. 🙂
What’s your favorite way to use apples (besides just yummy and raw, of course) ?
Recipe: Dutch Apple Cake with Caramel Glaze
Summary: With 7 apples, this apple delight is the most deliciously moist apple cake I’ve ever eaten.
- 7 apples
- 3 cups up bleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated preferred)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups cups chopped pecans *optional
- 1 recipe of Caramel Glaze
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Butter and Flour a 13×9 baking pan.
- Peel, quarter, core and cut length ways, then cross wise so that you have 16 pieces per apple.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In large eggs, mix eggs to combine, then whisk in sugars, oil and vanilla until blended well.
- Gradually mix in flour mixture until well blended.
- Fold apples and pecans into batter, just to coat. (The batter will be thick.)
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake approximately one hour or until toothpick comes out clean when testing in the center of the cake.
- Remove cake and let cool on wire rack while preparing Caramel Glaze.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
This Apple Cake is unbelievable without the glaze, but the addition of the caramel glaze takes it over the top.
Recipe: Caramel Glaze
- Melt six tablespoons of unsalted butter in medium skillet.
- Add 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar, 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/2 cup whipping cream, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook and stir until well blended over medium – low heat for two minutes.
- Increase heat and boil for two minutes until dime size bubbles cover the surface of the glaze.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly until glaze thickens, approximately five minutes.
- Spoon over cake.