With a large family that’s on the go more than I like, muffins are a wonderful option for breakfast on the run.
I’d love to say we rarely eat in the car and that meals are always a leisurely, relaxing experience around the kitchen table, but that daily occurrence ended years ago. When we are together, I cherish it and I do fight for those family meal times.
While most of the muffins I make for breakfast are healthy like my Banana Oatmeal Muffins every once in awhile, I like to surprise them with some extra goodness.
I’d say a few bits of Heath bar sprinkled throughout the batter, ending with a Toffee topping, definitely scores in the Mommy baking department, plus the frugal girl in me feels a fond affection for this recipe since I snatched up 50% off Heath bars the day after Halloween. 🙂
Yes, with a recipe named Heath Bar Mini Muffins, you’d assume these would be incredibly sweet, but the batter only has 1/3 cup of brown sugar. It’s the toffee that adds the sweetness and I admit, the second batch got even more Heath bits than the first.
I double everything below and I divide the batter between mini muffins and regular sized tins, since what’s the point of one son eating 12 mini muffins? 🙂 I also can’t rave about my Non-Stick Mini Muffin Pans enough.
In fact, I used either Silicone Muffin Pan, non stick or stone ware pans for all my muffin baking since I’ve had one too many stuck baked goods in the past.
Often I end up improvising with recipes. With this one, I’ve run out of milk before and substituted some flavored coffee creamer. It made for a wonderfully delightful change in flavor, and also add additional sweetness to the batter which our sons did not mind at all.
So enjoy some Crunchy Toffee Goodness this week, I sure will.
Recipe: Heath Bar Mini Muffins
Summary: These delicious Heath Bar Muffins offer a hint of crunchy toffee goodness in each bite.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 TBS melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 bars (1.4 ounces each) Heath bar or similar chocolate covered English Toffee, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease 36 mini muffins pans (or 12 regular size)
- In medium bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In separate bowl, combine egg, milk, sour cream, butter and vanilla.
- Add at one time to flour mixture and stir gently till just moistened.
- Gently fold 2/3 of the toffee into the batter, saving the remainder for topping.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins until cups are full.
- Sprinkle remaining toffee evenly over the tops of muffins.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown (regular size muffin tins will be longer.)
- Cool on rack for five minutes, then loosen edges of muffins and serve warm.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Sounds really yummy! I was just thinking of how good some banana’s or apples would be in this too. We’ll be snowed in for a few days, so I may try it 🙂
These would be sooooo good with apples, like eating a caramel apple at the fair. I think I’ll go make these before the kids wake up. I have a bag of Heath bits hiding in the freezer, so I’ll use those and add some mini chocolate chips.
Oh yum!! That sounds like a wonderful idea. Let me know how that turns out. I LOVE caramel apples. One of my faves.