It’s always fun trying to recreate our good ‘ole favorite comfort foods with a slight twist. There’s just something about these meals that just make me want to hunker down and stay at home.
Our family loves every variation of pot pie and this one was no different. While this one dish, mock chicken pot pie is not nearly as involved as I normally make, the short cuts definitely make this a wonderful option on those busy evenings.
Again, this is a basic recipe, but feel free to tweak with your favorite twists.
For our large family, I have to double this recipe and as I’ve tweaked it to our preferences, it’s a bit different every time.
I’ve added lots of different items such as shredded turkey, (make sure you use my kitchen tip for shredding chicken and turkey) varying cheeses, grilled onions and peppers. When I don’t have pie crust on hand, I’ve used other dough products.
Use what you have. This is a forgiving recipe and one to keep when your mind goes blank. Am I the only one?
Recipe: One Dish, Mock Chicken Pot Pie
Summary: This easy, short cut Mock Chicken Pot Pie only dirties up one dish. I LOVE that!
- 1 can condensed cream of onion soup (or your favorite)
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cut up
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (favorite)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- one garlic clove, minced (or store bought)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup instant rice
- 1/2 package of rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crusts, room temp
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, combine soup, milk, cheeses and spices.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese melts.
- Stir in chicken, vegetables and rice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer covered for about ten minutes or until veggies and rice are cooked.
- While filling is simmering, unroll the pie crust and cut dough into strips about 1/2 to 1 inch wide.
- Place pie crust strips on baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until golden.
- To serve: transfer filling to one large dish and top with pastry strips or serve in individual small bowls and top with pastry strips (as shown above.)
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4