As the flower buds begin to bloom and warmer weather peeks through the horizon, my menu plan reflects the change of season. I use the oven less, the grill and stove top more and begin to incorporate more and more fresh veggies into my meals.
I’m always looking to create quick and healthy options that the whole family enjoys and this Speedy Chicken Cacciatore hits on all of them.
During my 17 Day Diet, I focused on creating many chicken dishes, particularly ones that were hearty, full of veggies, low carb and packed with flavor. I wanted to put a slightly different twist on the original, which can typically be much higher in calories. I love this option because there’s a lot of versatility with the seasonings and vegetables. While I incorporated ones that we already had on hand, feel free to omit or substitute some of your favorites. When I am going low carb, I don’t want to be stuck making two different meals, so this was perfect. For the kids, I served it over pasta, but I ate the chicken, sauce and veggie mixture, which was delicious. It can easily be served over rice, as well.
While there’s nothing like homemade pasta sauce with garden fresh tomatoes, it’s rare that I ever make it any more because the store bought options make for an incredibly easy and delicious meal.
Put this on your upcoming meal plan, and while you are chopping up those veggies, make extra. This is a delicious C.O.S.T. Cooking meal for later in the week.
Recipe: Speedy Chicken Cacciatore
Summary: Bring the gourmet taste home with a quick version of the traditional Chicken Cacciatore.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ½ cup Flour
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 TBS Olive or coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, fresh or partially defrosted
- 1 package (8 ounces) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 jar (27 ounces) Ragú® Old World Style® Traditional Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 12 ounces pasta (your choice but I prefer Angel Hair)
- In an extra large skillet, heat olive or coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, onions, garlic and bell peppers to skillet; cook and stir 5 minutes on medium heat or until tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Mix the flour and Parmesan cheese in large bowl. Dredge the chicken in bowl and coat evenly with flour mixture.
- Push vegetables to the side of skillet (or remove completely from pan) and add remaining oil.
- Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned.
- While chicken is cooking in skillet, bring large pot of water to a boil and then add pasta.
- Stir in pasta sauce, Worcestershire sauce and spices to chicken/vegetable mixture.
- Bring to boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken has no pink in center and you are ready to serve
- Serve chicken mixture over cooked pasta or rice, if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4