What is it that draws us all to go ‘ole comfort food? When our family has bowls of these super easy, Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings in front of us, we do a collective sigh. Well, I do, my teens just gobble it up before a breath occurs, so I know this recipe is Kid Tested, Mother Approved.
I have a repertoire of Slow Cooker recipes that are always a winner in our home, and this is one of them. It lends itself to many variations, so note the options. The picture above shows the traditional Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings recipe, in which I added chopped, fresh carrots, and only carrots. I have also made this by adding mixed veggies, potatoes, celery and carrots for more of a “Pot Pie” rendition. I have even added in half of a tub of Kraft’s new Philadephia Cooking Cream (Italian Cheese and Herb) for an additional option when I was making larger batches.
You can’t really go wrong with this base recipe. Make this once and then you can decide how you want to change it up for the next time. It’s so easy, and by using Refrigerated Biscuits, you fool everyone into thinking you spent all day in the kitchen.
Honestly though, homemade dumplings are a breeze and if you do have five extra minutes, you can whip up the homemade dumpling recipe and then drop the dough in at the end, where the recipe calls for the biscuits.
Enjoy a meal of pure comfort delight, along with your family’s praise. They’ll never need to know how easy it was, until they take over the cooking for a day. 🙂
Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
Summary: Delicious and satisfying comfort food taste without the work. These slow cooker chicken and dumplings will fool even the hardest of critics.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (frozen or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup (I have used one can of chicken and can of celery or mushroom for variety)
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 – 2 tablespoons, mix and match your choice of favorite seasoning – choices are: garlic powder, all purpose or poultry seasoning, paprika, cumin, dried parsley, rosemary, thyme.
- 1 small onion, diced (optional, but we love it, finely diced)
- 1 – bag of frozen or canned mixed veggies (optional)
- 1 can of flaky refrigerator biscuits – you may desire two if your family wants lots of dumplings
- Place the chicken, butter, soup,seasonings, onion, (and optional veggies) in a slow cooker.
- Pour chicken stock to cover.
- Cover, and cook for about 4 hours on High or 7 hours on low. (All slow cookers vary)
- About one hour before serving, take lid off of crock pot and shred chicken with fork.
- Then take biscuits, flatten and tear into fourths. Place the torn biscuit dough in crockpot, making sure that you push pieces down into the liquid, so the tops are covered as well.
- Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center. (If you’ve been cooking on low & need to hurry the process, turn up to high until dough has cooked.)
Heart Healthy Options – Omit the butter. Add vegetables. Use low sodium/fat cream soup and broth. Use Low Fat Biscuits or better yet, my easy homemade dumpling recipe.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6