One of the most popular posts on this blog are visitors coming back for my healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffin Recipe. It’s been so fun to read the comments and see all the slight twists and variations that bakers across the country have made to my original recipe.
I admit, we eat in the car more than I’d like to admit, so I’m always trying to create new “on the go” recipes. Hopefully, this Oatmeal Applesauce Muffin recipe will be a healthy hit in your family as well. It’s perfect for those quick meals on the run and because it’s not a sweet muffin, I don’t feel guilty.
Three cheers for no guilt recipes!
I’m sure you’ve noticed the slight sheen of sugar on the top of some of these. I sprinkle just a few of the muffins with a dab of butter and sugar before I bake them. (Yes, I do that for that “one child.” ;))
Feel free to add nuts, raisins and/or the apples. You could add all three if you’re living on the wild side. I love the extra sweetness that the chopped apples give to the muffins.
Make sure you double the recipe so that you have some extras for later since this recipe only makes a dozen and they’ll go fast.
I can’t wait to hear any new tweaks you make, so make you share with me after you give the recipe a try.
Recipe: Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins
Summary: This delicious Oatmeal Applesauce Muffin recipe is a perfect healthy snack option.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup oatmeal, quick or regular
- 1/2 cup nuts*
- 1/2 cup raisins*
- (or instead of nuts/raisins) 1 cup chopped apples
- Cream butter and brown sugar, add egg.
- Mix thoroughly, then add applesauce.
- In separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients, Save nuts, raisins (or optional apples) until the end.
- Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture. Stir just to combine, the stir in apples or nuts/raisins.
- Spoon into muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4