While visiting the Unilever Test Kitchen, each blogger was tasked with a different recipe to prepare. Stepping outside of my culinary comfort zone, I agreed to make something with shell fish, which typically, I do not eat.
Not only was I impressed with how easy it was, but the presentation was beautiful. The blend of ingredients and flavors did not make it fishy tasting at all, and I got to brainstorming all the ways I could take this basic recipe and embellish it.
This would be a perfect recipe for a special luncheon or dinner.
Crabmeat Salad on Tostadas
- 12 ounces fresh crabmeat
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Tbs. chopped pickled jalapeño peppers (added a great spike to the taste, but you could definitely leave this out)
- ½ cup Hellmann’s Light Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup oil
- 6 (6 inch) corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
1. Combine avocado, onion, jalapeno pepper and red bell pepper, and crabmeat into bowl.
3. Drain on paper towels. To serve, arrange tortillas on serving platter and evenly top with lettuce, then crabmeat salad.
If you are not a shellfish lover, finely sliced chicken or turkey would be delicious in this as well. A completely vegetarian option could be made by adding more avocado, onions and bell peppers, and slightly seasoning it to taste.
Enjoying it was a surprise to me. We talked about expanding our cooking horizons a few weeks ago with my Portebella Pizza recipe and I loved everyone’s comments on that. This recipe was another fabulous example of that.
Go have fun and make this!