Homemade chocolate toffee is synonymous with Christmas baking and homemade gift giving, but in my opinion, candy making is difficult. I don’t do well having to watch that candy thermometer at all. Some brilliant person made a homemade copy cat toffee recipe using Saltines Crackers, and with only five ingredients, it’s a winner.
For years, this delicious recipe has made it’s rounds with a variety of names – Chocolate Bark, Saltine Cracker Candy, or just “that yummy chocolate saltine cracker recipe” suffices.
Whatever it is that you would like to name it, just make it and try it because it’s sure to become a family food tradition. I remember my mother making it, and hopefully, my children will have fond memories of us making it in the kitchen as well.
Don’t worry if Saltines sound odd to you, just trust me on this decision, but you could use Ritz Crackers for this Toffee treat as well. No one will have a clue…and wow, they are VERY addictingly (is that a word?) delicious. 😉
Saltine Toffee – Chocolate Toffee Bars
- Saltine crackers
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- heath bar toffee chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- On 10×15 cookie sheet, arrange saltines in single layer (salt side down),preferably on parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Over medium heat, combine butter and brown sugar in saucepan. Stir until mixture thickens and starts to boil (if you use dark brown sugar, be sure to boil until butter and sugar are totally combined).
- Pour butter and sugar mixture over saltines. Using back of spoon or spatula, spread mixture evenly over all of the crackers. Work quickly for it will start to cool.
- Place cookie sheet in preheated oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. (Don’t over cook… it will burn. Don’t under cook- it will stick to the cookie sheet)
- Immediately upon removing the cookie sheet from the oven, evenly sprinkle chocolate chips over the crackers.
- Let sit for 3-5 minutes, then smooth the melted chocolate over the crackers using the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Sprinkle toffee chips on top of chocolate.
- Freeze or refrigerate for 2+ hours. Break apart, and enjoy (I enjoy them most when they are served right out of the freezer).
** There are variations of this chocolate toffee bar recipe. Some omit the toffee and use chopped pecans instead. The great thing about this recipe is that you can experiment with your favorite flavors of chips, nuts, candies etc. Since this freezes so well, it makes a wonderful homemade gift since you can make them early and then bag them in beautiful cellophane wrapping when ready to give to that special person.