I am not a morning person. Never have been, never will. I’ve tried everything to embrace those dark, still moments with joy, like so many of my other friends who think early hours are heaven on earth, but the only thing I get excited about in the morning is stumbling down the stairs for a cup of coffee.
So yes, mornings have been a bit rough around our home lately.
Mornings + good, early morning breakfast = really rough. Tough. Challenging. The list goes on.
While I know the value of nutritional breakfast for my guys on the go, I have to be proactive and make something before they are scrambling for the door at 7:30, and this delicious Blueberry Banana Muffin recipe is the perfect answer.
While these end up being delicious Blueberry Muffin “cakes” with the addition of the cinnamon sugar topping, feel free to use my healthy option of the Banana Oatmeal Muffin recipe . It’s a perfect choice if you want to omit the sugar. Just add some blueberries and you have a healthier version of this recipe.
You’ll also note that these muffins are a bit darker, it’s because I used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white for a little change. It’s a great recipe to double, so you can freeze extras for later.
Recipe: Blueberry Banana Muffins
Summary: With the perfect blend of blueberries and bananas, these muffins are a perfect way to start the morning.
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas (mashed)
- 2 1/3 cups flour sifted (sometimes I use 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 white)
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk (or buttermilk for bit of a tang)
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
If you would like to make Blueberry Muffins, just omit the bananas and add one additional egg.
- Cream butter and sugar. Mix well.
- Add two eggs. Beat well. Add mashed bananas.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Add flour mixture to egg/sugar mixture, alternating with adding the milk.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly between 18 greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 ° for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool slightly after removing from tin.
- If desired, dip muffin tops in melted butter and then dip into cinnamon sugar mixture of 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cinnamon.*optional
Double the batter and save some for later: Let cool completely before wrapping. Will keep at room temp for 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To thaw and heat frozen muffins, you may let them come to room temp or remove plastic wrap, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30-45 seconds. Eat immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 18
What’s your favorite breakfast on the go recipe?
I definitely need to add some more to my repertoire.