We love to open our home to friends and family, and since we live on some acreage in the country, fall is a perfect time to host our guests outside. Our home is set back in the woods, so the natural beauty of fall foliage comes alive around us, even if our grass has been dead for months.
This past October, we hosted a chili/soup gathering. Everyone brought their favorite, along with a side or dessert to pass. Those kinds of get-togethers are always so special, and with everyone pitching in, the thought of entertaining 75 people becomes very manageable.
Then we host those gatherings when I don’t want people to lift a finger. I want them to come empty handed, so that I can feed them, and love on them.
When that occurs, my mind immediately goes through a repertoire of perfect entertaining foods. My desire is that it always has a hint of “gourmet,” yet with none of the work.
As painful as it is to admit it, one of those shortcuts that achieves this goal every time is by using store bought crescent rolls, and dressing them up into yummy stuffed “rings or braids.” (shh.) No matter what filling I add, the flaky goodness cooks up beautifully and always has the guests asking for the recipe.
The beauty of this “technique,” because it’s really about the technique, is that you can mix and match nearly any combination and it will be delicious. I am giving you a standard recipe that you may use with turkey, ham and cheese, but add or subtract ingredients based on your favorite mixtures.
As much as I love the broccoli in this recipe, and I typically always add it in, I happened to be out of it at the time I took this picture, so you are seeing it with just cheese, turkey and ham. I also added a little ranch dressing in lieu of the mayonnaise, since I had an abundance of Ranch, but not mayo, which proves that you can mix and match your favorite ingredients.
It’s honestly the best quick meal idea that always aims to impress.
I’d love to hear some of your favorite easy entertaining recipes.
If you would like to share it as a guest post with my readers, just let me know.
Head on over to my 10 Minute Dinner site where I shared my Terribly Terrific Easy Taco Ring.
Recipe: Turkey, Ham and Cheese Ring
Summary: This recipe aims to impress. Oozing with turkey, ham and cheese, it’s perfect for entertaining, and comes together in ten minutes of prep time.
- 1 cup chopped ham, turkey or combo of both
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- ½ cup mayo
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded favorite cheese
- 2 tablespoons mustard (your choice. I use Dijon or honey)
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- Garlic, onion powder (optional)
- Snipped parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven 350ºF.
- Chop ham, turkey, broccoli and onion. Add parsley, cheese, mustard and mayo to meat mixture; mix well.
- Unroll crescent dough separate into 16 triangles. Arrange triangles in a circle on a 13 inch round baking stone with the wide ends of the triangles overlapping in the center and the points facing the outside. (Note circle in the center.)
- Scoop the meat mixture evenly onto the widest end of each triangle. Bring the outside points of the triangles up over the filling and tuck under the dough at center of ring. (See picture: the filling will not be completely covered.)
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
What goodness are you cooking up today? I can’t wait to see. (Link up, link back and share the love)