It’s hovering at 92 degrees here in NC and our upstairs air conditioning has been out for weeks. Yes, adding more freon didn’t work, so it’s a whole new unit for this family and apparently, every air conditioning repairman has better things to do than helping a sister out.
BUT, I am SO grateful for downstairs air and I’m reminded it’s a want, not a need, just like my need for this No Bake Chocolate Eclair Cake.
Now, please understand that we are going to hold the word “cake” loosely in this title because it’s a little tricky to give a name too. Whatever you call it, you will be glad you gave it a try. It’s SO easy that it really belongs over on my 10 Minute Dinners site, plus it feeds a crowd in minutes. Since it’s a make ahead of time type dessert, it’s a wonderful way to get some of the items on the “To do” list marked off before company comes.
I know I have a picture of this deliciousness on a plate, but for the life of me, I can not find that photo card, so just imagine layers of refreshing goodness. While I list store bought whip cream and pudding, know that you can absolutely substitute them with homemade, and believe it or not homemade chocolate pudding is SO easy!!
I make it in a Trifle bowl only because anything layered make a beautiful presentation in a see through bowl, but wouldn’t you know that Kraft shared a picture with pieces cut from an 8×8 cake plate. So much versatility.
Recipe: Chocolate Eclair Cake
Summary: This refreshing no bake chocolate cake is the perfect recipe for large groups. Everyone loves it!
- 1 small box French vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (8 ounce) carton of whipped topping, homemade or Cool Whip
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 box of Graham Crackers (or I’ve mixed the bottom layers with Nilla Wafers too)
- 1 cup milk chocolate frosting, room temperature (yes, store bought works)
- Combine the milk and pudding mix in medium bowl.
- Stir in the whipped topping.
- Arrange a layer of graham crackers or mixture of Nilla wafers/graham crackers in the bottom of an 8 inch dish.
- Spread one cup of pudding mixture over the crackers.
- Create another layer of crackers, then pudding mixture.
- Continue until mixture is all gone.
- Spread the chocolate frosting over the remaining graham crackers and create on final layer on top of pudding.
- Spread frosting all the way to the edge.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least four hours (or up to 24 hours) before serving.