I realize that it’s the time of the year when we all want some figgy pudding or fudge or hot chocolate,, or (name your favorite) but honestly, a delicious low fat lemon, blueberry pound cake recipe sounds just about perfect right now.
The last few weeks, I’ve been indulging in a few too many rich foods, and I decided it was time to bring out one of my favorites.
A friend shared this with me around 15 years ago, long before I had a computer, and it always brings back such fun memories of my young mom days. It’s something how a recipe can do that, isn’t it?
With a hint of lemon accenting the blueberries, mixed in with some low fat options, it’s a cake that allows me a bit more sweet treat indulgences on a second piece.
And honestly, isn’t any time of year, the perfect time for some Pound Cake?
Low Fat Blueberry Pound Cake – let’s all take a moment and wish we had a piece in front of us right this moment.
If you are in need of some more Simple Holiday Recipes, have fun browsing here.
Recipe: Low Fat Blueberry Pound Cake
Summary: With a hint of lemon, this deliciously moist pound cake bursts with blueberries. The low fat alternatives allow me to indulge in a second piece.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light butter
- 1/2 (8 ounces) block 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 3 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 8 ounce container lemon low-fat yogurt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat first three ingredients together at medium speed of a mixer until well blended (about five minutes).
- Add eggs and egg white, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with knife.
- Combine two tablespoons of flour and blueberries in a small bowl and toss well.
- Combine remaining flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Fold into blueberry mixture and vanilla.
- Pour cake batter into a ten inch tube pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for one hour and ten minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for ten minutes: remove from pan.
- Glaze – Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; drizzle over warm cake.
- Cut with serrated knife and serve warm. So yummy!
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12