Last night, our son announced, “Mom, I’m going to make some amazing Nachos. That’s alright with you, isn’t it?”
My mind raced, “Alright? Alright? Of COURSE, it’s alright.”
When any of our kids determine they are going to cook, and then decide to make enough for all their siblings, the reigns of the kitchen are easily shared.
When nachos are made in our home, it’s not just melted cheese over tortilla chips, although keeping a tiny portion of the pan for those that desire just that, is a great option. No, we are talking fully loaded nachos, as in, they become a meal.
Yesterday’s choice was of the Tex-Mex Nacho variety. One thing about starting your children off early in the kitchen, is that by the time they hit high school, they have the basic skills down. As our
boy man went to town chopping up green pepper and fresh tomatoes, I thought, “Some blessed girl out there will be pleasantly surprised some day.” (But don’t tell him I was thinking that. ;))
Really, is there anything yummier than melted cheese?
To make this loaded Tex-Mex Nachos recipe a complete meal for the big eaters in your life, dab a little of my Crock Pot Taco Meat or shredded chicken on top of the chips, along with some re-fried or black beans.This makes it a stick to the ribs kind of meal.
If you are in a hurry and need a 10 minute dinner? Put my Dump and Run Taco Soup on your meal plan and double the recipe. Save a little for a Take 2 meal and make it these nachos. I drain out the liquid and use the taco soup as the topping for my fully loaded nachos. Sprinkle some extra cheese, then heat, and you have gourmet nacho in about two minutes.
I’ve given you a huge list of optional ingredients below. Pick and choose your favorites, as well as taking into consideration any of your guests. My guys love anything with a spicy kick, but I’d avoid the jalapenos if serving this to children. When I have a mixed age audience, I always leave a portion fairly plain. This allows guests to garnish as desired.
What is your favorite way to make Nachos?
Next up will be our Truly All American Version. 🙂
Recipe: Fully Loaded Tex-Mex Nachos
Summary: This Loaded Tex-Mex Nacho recipe is the perfect blend of many flavors. It’s good enough for a meal.
- 1 Bag Tortilla Chips (thick is best if you use re-fried beans)
- 1 Can Re-fried Beans (or homemade) and/or Black Beans
- Taco Meat or shredded chicken, heated
- Green Pepper, diced
- black olives, sliced
- Jalapeno, sliced
- Tomato, diced
- Avocado, diced
- sour cream
- 3 Cups Shredded cheddar Cheese or your favorite
- Sprinkle the tortilla chips on the largest cookie sheet or baking pan you own. This will also be used for serving.
- Top the chips with beans and meat, then sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Add any additional veggies choices.
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- Remove and garnish your favorite toppings including salsa, jalapenos, cilantro, scallions, sour cream, guacamole, etc!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8