This Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is one of my favorite Go-To desserts especially during the summer.
If you omit the brownie crust, it can be finished in ten minutes from start to finish.
Yep, I speak the truth. 😉
The last few weeks have been one of those non stop, go-go-go, invite a ton of people to your home kind of times. Last week alone we hosted two large parties totaling over 125 people.
There’s nothing more that I love than welcoming others to experience a bit of both our beauty and bedlam; they fill me to the brim, but they are also exhausting. A wonderful kind of exhausting, but still tiring.
I’ve come to the point where I can host large groups of guests like that because I will not let the stress of what our home looks like dictate how I approach the event. I guarantee the laundry will be cleared off the sofa, but please don’t open any of the closets.
I also know that it’s in the community of gathering that determines a wonderful evening. Well, that plus a great dessert, of course.
This Brownie Oreo Ice Cream Cake goes above and beyond in the summer dessert department. It combines all my favorite prerequisite – delicious, incredibly easy, fairly frugal and it can feed a HUGE group without stress setting in.
If you want your family to rise up and call you blessed, make this for them. Trust me, it’s a winner.
I made a huge 9×13 and it fed a LOT of hungry friends. It’s very rich, so it stretches. Most of you will not need this large of a cake, so just cut the amounts in half to fit your pan.
Since my recipes are always made for real life living, rarely do I get that perfect picture. This piece is a “day after” one that I snatched out of the hands of babes during the party and put back in my freezer before it all melted.
I had to have at least one picture where you can see the delicious layers of goodness. Feel free to mix and match flavors based on your preference. You will never have to pay $40 for a gourmet ice cream cake again because it’s so easy to replicate it for $5-8.
Can you get a peek of the secret weapon? Yes, store bought ice cream sandwiches. They are the wonderful reason we can whip this up in minutes, yet everyone thinks you slaved in the kitchen. (Budgeting tip: Ice Cream Sandwiches go on sale BOGO, so watch for the sale and then stock up.)
Everyone in our home wanted to dive in. I didn’t even know cats liked ice cream. 🙂
Please know that this is a very general, throw together your favorites, kind of recipe. You can NOT mess this up, so don’t stress out at all. It’s a wonderful recipe to make ahead of time. It can stay fresh for days if you seal it well and place in your freezer.
It came together based on my “mistake”. I didn’t have enough ice cream sandwiches to layer it twice like I normally do so I brainstormed other ingredients I had on hand. Mocha brownies had just come out of the oven, plus we had Oreos, whipped cream and chocolate syrup. I decided that a mocha brownie crust seemed a to-die for solution and I was right. You will want the brownie layer thinner than your typical brownie, so I literally separated them in half and then smooshed them down while they were still warm.
If you’ve ever made Brownie Pops, it’s the same philosophy. Literally mold the already baked brownies and push/pat them down into crust form covering your entire pan.
Have fun creating with this. As you can see, my recipe isn’t precise. That might make some of you nervous, but trust me on this, just layer and all will be well. Remember, I made this for a large group, so for your family just cut your amounts in half for an 8×8, then step back and wait for your guests to be amazed.
*repost from 2014 and it’s a blast to hear all the reviews of people who have made this and it’s now their favorite as well.
Recipe: Brownie Oreo Ice Cream Cake
Summary: This delicious layering of many of my favorites – brownies, oreos, whip cream & ice cream sandwiches create the perfect cool dessert.
- One box of ice cream sandwiches (I use between 10-12 for 9×13 of Chocolate/vanilla combination)
- 15-20 Oreo cookies
- Chocolate syrup (or hot fudge)
- 1 carton thawed whipped cream (such as Cool Whip)
- 1 box brownie mix (choose size depending on how large of a pan)
- If you’d like to serve this presentational style where you will remove the ice cream cake from the pan and serve on decorative plate, then line the entire pan including the bottom and sides with enough tin foil that extra hangs over the edges. (I didn’t do this in the pictures.)
- Spray bottom of 9×13 pan or spray tin foil and bake Brownie Mix as suggested on package.
- After removing from oven, cool slightly and then pat brownies down to form crust.
- Use half of the whipped cream and cover the brownie layer.
- Liberally squirt chocolate topping over the whipped cream.
- Crush Oreos in ziplock bag.
- Sprinkle an Oreo layer across whipped topping.
- Cut ice cream sandwiches in half and layer across Oreos.
- Drizzle additional chocolate syrup on ice cream sandwiches.
- Use remaining whipped topping to “frost” the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle Oreos and drizzle syrup on top to garnish.
- Cover and stick Ice Cream cake back in freezer until firm.
- Serve from pan or use additional flaps of foil to lift cake out of pan.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12