In the realm of all things food, there’s nothing I love more than breakfast food.
At any time of the day, breakfast is my mantra. It speaks comfort to me. My Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole?
ALL. DAY. LONG!
But, school mornings are rough.
Typically, we have a hot breakfast, but it comes about an hour after our high school son has left home. He is the antithesis of a morning person. I’m fortunate to get a grunt, but grunts don’t give this momma a lot of motivation. Just sayin’.
So, I’ve been playing around with varying recipes that I can make up ahead of time and use throughout the week. These yummy Stuffed Breakfast Biscuit Muffins were a hit.
Basically, it’s taking your favorite scrambled eggs recipe, breakfast ingredients and stuffing them inside homemade biscuit dough. I gave directions for using store bought Bisquick or baking mix, but trust me, whip up my homemade Bisquick without shortening in bulk so you can use it for so many different recipes.
Play around with the additions to this. I gave you the base recipe, but I found that I varied the recipe even among my muffin tins. Some of our children love more biscuit and less filling. Personally, I love them filled with extra scrambled eggs, so I stuffed some with lots of extra eggs. You may end up varying the amount of eggs, cheese, bacon you use and you could even add sauteed onions and peppers if you desire a more vegetarian option. You just can’t go wrong with any variation.
So I want you to know, that even after this momma got a grunt, I decided to be a bit more proactive about morning breakfasts for my growing guy. These are perfect for breakfast on the go and I’m “thinking,” we might not be the only ones who eat in their car.
Enjoy and let me know how you changed it up.
If you are trying to go with less carbs, try my Egg Puff Recipe. Another great option.
Recipe: Stuffed Breakfast Biscuit Muffins
Summary: These delicious homemade biscuit muffins stuffed with your favorite breakfast fillings are always a winner.
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups (or more), shredded cheese, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 TB butter or oil
- 1 (20 ounce) box of All Purpose Baking Mix (or my homemade bisquick)
- 2 Tb dried chives or green onions *optional
- 2 Tb garlic salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 package (16 ounces or more) of cooked and crumbled bacon or sausage
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line 12 muffins cups with paper liners or grease non stick muffin tin well.
- In large bowl, mix up eggs, 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper. (Or prepare your favorite recipe for scrambled eggs. – then skip these first steps).
- In skillet, heat butter or oil and add egg mixture, cook and stir occasionally until set, but not fully cooked.
- Remove scrambled eggs from heat.
- In large bowl, stir baking mix, chives and garlic salt.
- Add milk, stirring to combine.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup biscuit mixture into each muffin cup.
- Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese.
- Top each with egg mixture and bacon and/or sausage.
- Spoon remaining biscuit mixture over the meat.
- Bake at 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12