If you’re less than crafty, not exactly a seamstress or a recovering perfectionist (or, you know, ALL OF THE ABOVE), this is the holiday project for you.
If you happen to have one or two or a dozen wire hangers hanging out in various closets and your laundry room (where do those things come from, anyway?), EVEN BETTER.
All you need to make a fabric wreath for any holiday is a couple yards of fabric, that pesky wire hanger and a pair of good scissors. Pick out two to four complementary prints or solids. You really can make a wreath for any occasion – to decorate for Christmas or autumn or the Fourth of July, to match your front porch or kitchen walls, or even to cheer on your favorite team.
And when a project takes just a couple hours and requires absolutely no sewing, well, why not make one for every occasion?!
Here’s how to make a no-sew fabric wreath:
1. Buy two yards of fabric. (Keep in mind that softer or slicker fabric [no, that’s probably NOT the technical term] will be easier to cut and to tie, but it will also be more expensive.)
2. Cut fabric into approximately 150 strips, 1 to 1.5″ wide by 5 to 6″ long.
3. Stretch your wire hanger, shaping it into a circle. Do not untwist the hook part, and don’t worry if it’s not a perfect circle. (NOTHING about this has to be done perfectly, as a matter of fact. That’s part of the beauty of this project!)
4. Tie each strip around the hanger, keeping each “tail” about the same size. Add strips in a pattern of your choosing, alternating between patterns.
5. As you tie the strips, scrunch them as close together as possible. You should be able to fit all 150 strips around the hanger.
6. Hang on a door or on the wall – or give it away as a gift!
In addition to being a simple project that doesn’t require precision or extensive sewing skills, making this fabric wreath is a great craft to make with friends (it’s easy enough that you can make it while chatting, listening to music, or catching up on the shows backed up on your DVR!) or kids (they can hand you the strips or even make their own wreaths).
And of course, since college football rules the world right now, everyone needs to give a nod to their favorite school colors. This is a perfect project to keep those fingers happy during the entire game.
What colors or occasion would YOU choose for this easy, no-sew fabric wreath?
Mary Carver is a writer, believer, wife, mom and recovering perfectionist. She writes about her imperfect life with humor and honesty, encouraging women to give up on perfect and get on with life at www.givinguponperfect.com.