- Balancing Beauty and Bedlam - http://beautyandbedlam.com -
Twiced Baked Potatoes – Double Stuffed Potatoes
Posted By Jen On September 16, 2010 @ 11:20 pm In Sides | Comments Disabled
I do believe I have shared over and over how potatoes are my favorite food. Who could not love those pure gold spuds fried, mashed, cooked, baked, grilled. I’ll even take them sauteed, steamed, or quite possibly frozen.
Yes, the perfect french fry tops the list next to twice baked potatoes, double baked or double stuffed potatoes. What ever potato title you give them, rounds out the top three favorite along with my gourmet mashed potatoes (make ahead) . (And thus the 30 Day Shred .)
This is a perfect recipe to teach your children because they can make a variety of variations from it, plus it can be dressed up quite nicely if one wants to pipe the potatoes mixture in all fancy (which I did not).
Have fun experimenting. I never measure any more with this recipe because it depends on the mood I am in and whether I want a lower fat option or swimming in buttery and cream cheese goodness.
Ingredients for Double Stuffed Potatoes
- 4 baking potatoes
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 Tbs of butter
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste…for variation, I will use seasoning salt, garlic salt or even minced garlic
- Optional ingredients/toppings – green onions, broccoli, diced ham, bacon pieces, chives, cream cheese, heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (If you don’t want the oven on the entire time, you may start them in the microwave for four minutes and then transfer to oven for last 20-30 minutes.)
- Scrub potatoes well and prick a few fork holes into the potato to release steam during baking.
- Rub skins with olive oil (optional).
- Bake potatoes for one hour or until knife pricks through skin easily.
- When potatoes are finished, let them cool or your fingers will never be the same. Slice potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh (forming a little “canoe” out of the skins. Place insides of potatoes into a separate bowl. Save the skins for later.
- Mix the inside of the potatoes with the sour cream, milk, butter, salt, pepper, half of the shredded cheese,and green onions. Mash with mixer until well mixed and desired consistency is reached. Do not over mix or they become gluey (ask me how I know.) If this is for a special occasion, at this point you may place the filling in a frosting tube and pipe the potatoes into the skins. I just take a spoon and plop the filling back into the skin.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and desired toppings. Bake again for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
Article printed from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam: http://beautyandbedlam.com
URL to article: http://beautyandbedlam.com/twiced-baked-potatoes-double-stuffed-potatoes/
URLs in this post:
 via RSS: http://feeds.feedburner.com/beautyandbedlam/MCXv
 via email: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=beautyandbedlam/MCXv&loc=en_US
 gourmet mashed potatoes (make ahead): http://beautyandbedlam.com/make-ahead-mashed-potatoes-freezer-mashed-potatoes/
 the 30 Day Shred: http://beautyandbedlam.com/tag/30-day-shred/
Copyright © 2011 Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. All rights reserved.