There’s just something about serving food in pretty glass jars that makes me so happy. I bought two cases of brand new canning jars at a yard sale, so this holiday season you can bet I will putting them to work with many of my 50 uses for Mason Jars. 
I love the idea of baking pies in a jar. Whether it’s pumpkin, apple, or cherry, I can assure you this pie in a jar recipe will be a hit, both with the beautiful presentation or the anticipation of a special gift.
My friend, Merissa from Little House on the Prairie Living,  shares her story behind this Pumpkin Pie in a Jar recipe. “My grandma used to make the best food but she’d never write down a recipe for me. Finally after several years of begging I finally got her to write down at least her ingredients for recipes. Now that she’s gone I’m so thankful that I begged for some long because now we can keep some of our great family food traditions alive like this one for Pumpkin Pie.”
Recipe: Pumpkin Pie in a Jar
Summary: Take traditional pumpkin pie to a new level and bake it in a jar. This works with any of your favorite pie flavors.
Pumpkin Pie Mixture
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. white sugar (Or lose both the sugars and just add 2/3 c. turbinado sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. cream
- 1 c. pumpkin
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
Butter Crust (cut this recipe in half if you use jars)
- 2 c. flour
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2/3 c. butter
- 5 T cold water
- Mix together the sugars, eggs, and pumpkin. Add in the cream, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and mix well.
- Set pumpkin mix aside.
- Mix together the crust ingredients. (It works best if you do this with a fork)
- Grease your jars if you plan on using them or lightly grease the bottom of a pie plate.
- If you are using the pie plate, pat the crust into the bottom and then pour the pie into the crust. For the jars, pour the pumpkin mix in first and then top with the crust.
- Bake either at 350F for about 30 minutes.
- Recipe fills 4-8 jars depending on the size or one pie plate.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Yes, this is another wonderful Simple Holiday Recipe . Don’t Miss a One!