No other recipe have I been asked for more than this easy, yet elegant Bavarian Pear Torte. As a young bride, it was that special recipe that fooled others into assuming my culinary skills were much more advanced than they actually were. This is delicious served as a dessert or perfect for a breakfast or brunch. It’s been a staple at our Easter brunch for years.
This recipe originally came from a gifted Bed and Breakfast cookbook but through the years, I have adapted this torte recipe and used various fruits, with both fresh and canned variations working well.
If there’s something simple you want to whip up, yet wow your guests at the same time, this Bavarian Pear Torte is the perfect recipe to try.
(I’ve made this so many times and have never gotten a picture of what a piece of this amazing torte looks like because as soon as it hits the table, it’s devoured. Imagine something much more divine than this picture.)
Recipe: Bavarian Pear Torte
Summary: This easy, yet elegant, pear torte leaves everyone asking for more (and wanting the recipe).
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups peeled pears, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (This tops the torte beautifully, but I have omitted it often, and it’s still delicious.)
- Mix butter, sugar, vanilla, and flour.
- Press into bottom of a 10 inch deep dish pie pan.
- Mix cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla.
- Pour into pastry-lined pan.
- Toss together pear, sugar and cinnamon.
- Arrange over cream cheese mixture as desired.
- Sprinkle almonds on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and 350 degrees for 25 more minutes. Allow to cool before removing from pan.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8