Homemade dumplings are such an easily overlooked comfort food. Nothing says cozy more than a roaring fire and a bowl of simmering soup, but please don’t forget to make this easy homemade dumpling recipe. With only a few minutes of preparation, they make any soup extra special, not to mention just how inexpensive they are on the budget.
This is a kid tested, pantry challenge approved addition to all of our meals, plus it’s a perfect recipe to add to your growing, “Cooking with Kids ” repertoire.
Recipe: Homemade Dumplings
Summary: This easy homemade dumpling recipe makes any soup extra special.
- 1 cup all purpose flour, sifted.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Sift dry ingredients (If you desire. I am always in a rush and typically skip this step.)
- Combine milk and oil; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Drop dough from a tablespoon on top of the bubbling stew.
- Cover lightly; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat (don’t lift cover)
- Simmer 10-15 minutes or till done. (As soon as my kids saw them expand, they wanted to try them. We probably only waited five minutes for the smaller ones to finish.)
Preparation time: 3 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
This week, I made one of the most delicious soups as a result of my January Pantry & Freezer Challenge . Isn’t it wonderful to find out how creative we can be by using what we already have on hand?
With leftover chicken broth from my crock pot chicken – the ten minute meal way , rice that was already cooked and frozen from one of my one hour power cooking times , along with frozen corn, spices, a few bits of fried onions and potatoes (also cooked and in the freezer already) and then whole wheat dumplings, it was comfort food at its finest. Yes, a quick and easy meal idea: ten minute dinners.
Trust me, my homemade dumplings are so easy, but some of you may prefer the truly lazy man’s dumpling recipe.
2 cups Bisquick mix
2/3 cup milk
Stir ingredients until soft dough forms OR even lazier? Just use refrigerated biscuit dough
Drop by spoonfuls onto hot stew: reduce heat Cook uncovered for ten minutes; Cover and cook for ten more
Why don’t you take a few minutes and whip up some homemade dumplings for your dinner tonight?