Last year, I had the opportunity to tour the Good Housekeeping headquarters. My favorite part of that day was spending time in their test kitchen, and the chance to ask questions of their full time bakers & cooks.
Not only did I ask away, but I came home with their “secret” Homemade Brownie Recipe.
Yes, sheer Fudgy Brownie goodness that I immediately took to task in my own kitchen.
In my opinion, the key to the moist, fudgy brownie texture, is DO NOT over bake. Watch that timer like a hawk and personally, I always take them out a bit early, since I love the gooey side of homemade brownies.
Recipe: Homemade Fudgy Brownies
Summary: Ultra-rich with lots of deep, dark chocolate flavor, these homemade fudgy brownies are fabulous with or without Praline icing .
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine (1 1/2 sticks)
- 4 squares (4 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 squares (4 ounces) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13″ x 9″ baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and salt.
- In heavy 4 quart saucepan, melt butter and unsweetened and semi-sweet chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth. Remove from heat.
- With wooden spoon, stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs; stir until well mixed.
- Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture just until blended. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Watch carefully. Do not over bake!
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost with Praline Icing , if desired
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 24 brownies