As I look at the NC temps, summer is upon us and that means pool, shorts and tank tops are calling. Unfortunately, I let my love of all things carbs, sugar and calories have their way with me over the past six months and a lot of my hard weight loss work from last year went out the window. It’s ok, it was my choice each and every bite, but now I need to discipline myself again.
With this hot weather comes all the bounty of the farmer’s market and beautiful garden produce at rock bottom prices.
I love taking advantage of that, so always stock up, flash freeze and prepare a lot of fruit for my freezer. It makes year round smoothies a breeze and picking and freezing blueberries is a family tradition.
I have a sweet tooth though, so before I start my no carb detox, I need some tricks up my sleeve. For a guiltless healthy treat, have you tried frozen blueberries and grapes? I just love popping them in my mouth when I have a sweet craving. but sometimes I take it up a notch by dipping them in chocolate. I first did this back in college with frozen bananas, but now, Chocolate Covered Blueberries are a favorite.
They are low fat, easy to make and curb the biggest sweet tooth.
Recipe: Chocolate Covered Blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup favorite chocolate chip (dark, white or milk chocolate)
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper so blueberries don’t stick.
- Place chocolate in a small bowl and use the microwave or double boiler, to melt.
- Stir until melted, making sure chocolate doesn’t burn.
- Gently fold fresh blueberries into melted chocolate.
- Form clusters by spooning 4 or 5 warm chocolate coated blueberries onto wax paper.
- Repeat until all blueberries are used.
- You can also use a non stick mini muffin tin, which works well too and use can choose how big or small you want the clusters to be.
- Refrigerate clusters until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days.
- I make a lot of these at one time and then freeze them. We like them frozen.
- These make a special gift and the photo shows the addition of drizzled chocolate.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)